I came across this post about someone a woman who moved to Spain and started (or took over) an expat magazine and has successfully franchised it to other expat locations.
She gave five tips for starting a business overseas:
1. Network like crazy at workshops, events and local seminars!
2. Use social media sites, such as Twitter and Facebook, to find other business people in your area;
3. Be a leader. Be the authority figure in your field – arrange a charity event, organize a weekly women’s lunch, use your initiative and it will pay off;
4. Keep your ear to the ground at all times, that way you will never miss a great opportunity; and
5. Learn the language where you live and make new friends.