One of the most important things to organize before moving to Bali is health insurance. There are several different options available and deciding on the best one will depend on your circumstances. Some of the things you need to consider include:

– Your age
– Any pre-existing medical conditions
– Length of stay
– Type of activities, such as diving and surfing
– Driving a car or motorbike

Short Term Insurance

If you are planning to stay in Bali for a short time, say for less than one year and the move is only temporary, travel insurance maybe a good option. Many travel insurance companies offer policies up to 12 months. Some of the companies which offer travel insurance include SafetyWing and Covermore. You can sign up online and with SafetyWing you can even apply if you have already started traveling and it is one of most flexible companies we have found.

If on the other hand you plan on moving to Bali on a more permanent basis, say longer than a year, you will need to look into expatriate insurance. There are a couple of international companies that offer this, such as William Russel and BUPA. There are also agents in Bali that you can meet in person and they will help you select the best option for your needs.

One of the most important considerations when it comes to insurance

The most important thing you need to check is whether your insurance company offers medical evacuation, or medivac. ThisĀ is where you become so seriously injured where hospitals here cannot treat you and you need to fly on a privately chartered plane to another country, such as Singapore or Australia. The cost of this is around $60,000 for the flight alone.

Unfortunately many people travel without medical insurance and then get in a serious accident usually on a motorbike. Their families are then left trying to scramble money together to pay for a medivac.

Insurance coverage for motorbikes

If you plan on riding a motorbike you need to make sure your insurance will cover you for this. Even if they do cover you, you need to make sure you follow their policies, such as:

– Wearing a helmet
– Not driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
– Holding the appropriate driving license.

The driving license could be a local or international one. You need to make sure which one your policy requires.

Sometimes it is a local license and sometimes an international license is required. In the case of international you
must hold the same license in your country for the vehicle which you are driving in Bali. For example if you have a car license in your country, you may not be covered if you have an accident on a motorbike. Many people make this costly mistake.

Indonesian Government Insurance

logo BPJS

Foreigners living in Indonesia holding a KITAS can now apply for insurance provided by the Indonesian government. The system is called BPJS and it is compulsory for employers to provide this for their employees. You can also sign up even if you aren’t working. It is cheap at around 60,000 rupiah per month, but coverage is very limited. Expect for example very long wait times for making appointments and lots of running around to get the care you need.

More information can be found here:

Please leave any questions or advice you have in the comments.

Image credit: