Wijaya & Co is a full service Indonesian law firm principally engaged in the provision of wide-range legal service to international clients in Indonesia, for businesses, for families and individuals, and for Indonesian-Expatriate Couples.



Can you get the Australian pension living in Bali?

Bali pension retirementThis question seems to come up often on forums, so I thought I would do a post on it. Can you get the Australian pension in Bali, and if so can I get the full amount? Please use this article as a general guide. The rules change often so it is best to check with Centrelink themselves by calling them or consulting their website.

The good news is that you can get the Australian age pension while living in Bali or anywhere else overseas. You need to apply for the pension first in Australia. There are some countries where you can apply from outside of Australia, but Indonesia is not one of them.

If you plan to move to Bali, you need to notify Centrelink. For trips under 6 weeks, there is no need. After 6 weeks living outside of Australia, you lose your supplements and you will be paid the overseas rate. After 26 weeks you will be paid depending on how long you have lived in Australia from the age of 16 to the retirement age. If it is less than 35 years then, you will receive proportionate amount.

The trap for many is, if you move overseas before applying for the pension, when you go back to Australia to apply, you need to live in Australia for at least two years.

The rules keep changing and becoming more restrictive for pensioners. I wouldn’t be surprised if one day you cannot even claim the pension overseas – there has certainly been talk of this in government circles. If you are 10+ years from retiring and have your heart set on living in Bali, then I would suggest saving as much as you can now and investing it, so you aren’t relying on the government.



, , ,

4 Responses to Can you get the Australian pension living in Bali?

  1. Dorothy Law December 4, 2016 at 2:20 pm #

    My son in law is only allowed Three Weeks visit per year on DSP!

  2. Jan Jevring January 7, 2017 at 12:01 pm #

    I am a Swedish Veterinarian, retired, and am thinking of relocating to Bali. I will have to find out whether I can work in my profession here, I have a diploma in Tropical Veterinary Medicine, but also a MSc in Tourism Marketing! I will try to find somewhere to live first and take it from there!

  3. colin tatlow April 11, 2017 at 8:52 pm #

    How can you obtain a 2 month visa from Australia to Bali

    • mike April 13, 2017 at 4:02 am #

      Apply at your nearest consulate/embassy.

Leave a Reply

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes